April 25, 2012

5 Ways To Look (And Feel) Your Best This Summer

As I've been getting ready for summer, I've been trying to make sure I can feel my best. It's always a struggle when I'm sweating in the heat to feel pretty and fresh, but it's just more of an incentive to take good care of myself! I've put together some of my tried and true tips for summer, some new, and some that you've probably heard before. I hope they're as helpful to you as they are for me!

1. Wear sunscreen, every day.
This tip is probably one of the hardest for me. I hate sunscreen. If I had the choice of getting burned than not getting any sun, I'd much rather burn. Because we all know it would turn into a tan eventually. But I've finally come to accept that it's still possible get great sun while wearing sunscreen, and your skin will thank you. Wear at least SPF 15 every day, and you'll be a sun bathing beauty without the burn.

Here are some of my favorites:
via Nordstrom

via Amazon

2. Stay away from plastic.
I know you're probably wondering, what the heck is this crackhead talking about? Stay away from plastic? Like that matters. But actually it does. A study was published in the May 2012 Harper's Bazaar that found that excessive contact with plastic products can inhibit weight loss. Weird right? But the study found that if you're trying to lose weight (bikini body anyone?!), stay away from your plastic products. This includes things like tupperware, plastic silverware, and especially plastic coated receipts. So take a step back from that plastic, and eat some celery instead.
 
3. Go bold or go home.
I'm definitely not the first person to say this, but this summer is all about going bold. Bold prints, bold and bright colors, and bold outfit combinations. I for one, try to wear heels as much as possible during the summer. Being out of school, I don't have to trek the hills of BYU to get to class, and so I like to wear high heels as often as possible, the higher the better! Summer is the perfect time to try new fashion statements that you might not try otherwise.
Here are some of my favorite looks:

 

 
4. Drink enough water.
It seems simple, but if you think you're drinking enough water, you're probably not. In the hot summer haze, it's important to drink more than just your simple 8 glasses a day. The simple rule to remember is to drink the same amount of ounces of water as the temperature outside. So if it's 90 degrees outside, drink 90 ounces of water. That's roughly... 11 glasses. That's a lot, but it's so worth it! As someone who gets dehydrated easily, this is my main goal for the summer.

5. Treat your hair with Club Soda.
What? I know you guys think I'm insane. And I am, but this tip isn't. Summer for me means POOL POOL POOL, and the beach if I'm lucky. Whether I'm laying out in the sun or going for a dip, treating your hair with club soda is key. Product buildup skyrockets in the summer, whether it's hair sunscreen, chlorine, or salt, your normal shampoo has a really tough time getting all that product out. The best way to make your hair squeaky clean? As soon as you hop out of the pool/lake/ocean, douse your hair in club soda before you wash it as normal. It will save your hair and keep it looking shiny and clean all summer long!
 

No comments: