July 23, 2010

tragedy

"tragedy makes the strongest men cry, weak friendships strengthen, and the worst enemies forgive."
if only it didn't take a tragedy for those things to happen...
on Wednesday July 21, 2010 a friend of mine and many others was taken from us.
Richie Carlston passed away after being in a car accident on Tuesday.
Richie and i were friends in high school. We both went to Spain our junior year on the intercambio, and we sat next to each other in 8th period lounge the second half of our senior year. We lost touch last summer and at college, and i am kicking myself because of it. I am horrible at staying in contact, and i should have done a better job at keeping in touch with people from high school this past year.
Rich is a great kid. He lived for Hockey and was always up for a good time. He was always joking and i can still hear his laughter ringing in my head. He was always really nice to me, and his friends and peers loved and still do love him. He was really smart. He was always doing some ap or IB work in lounge (usually his stats homework due the next period) and he played as hard as he worked. He was confident and fun and crazy! and he is missed. By his family, girlfriend, friends, and by me.
So Richie, thanks for being my friend and for being an example to me. I'll see you again someday.

I feel bad, like i shouldn't be excited for the next week. It is weird timing. I want to be so happy and excited about the wedding, but i don't want to be disrespectful to his family and friends while we are all mourning. I am devastated and happy all at the same time.
I think Richie would want me to be happy at this special time, but my sadness and grief will of course be noted. I love you Richie, rest in peace.


And if you were with me tonight,
I'd sing to you just one more time.
A song for a heart so big,
god wouldn't let it live.
May angels lead you in.

No comments: