February 10, 2012

Day 9 & 10: All About Food

Once again I'm behind (leave it to me), but I'm happy to say that this post is all about food. And there is really nothing better than that. 
Before I get to day 10's recipe, I want to talk about day 9.
Yesterday (day 9) I was going to talk to you about a Valentine's Day dinner menu.
So I'm just going to talk about it now. 
Since my birthday is one week after Valentine's day, Chin and I tend to go low-key on good old V-day, simply because I'm a big fan of fancy birthdays. Anyways, last year instead of spending big bucks to go out to dinner on Valentine's day, we planned something a little different.

 For my gift to Chin last year I sent him a personalized invitation to a 4 course dinner at home. We dressed to the nines and even though the ingredients were a little pricy, we saved about $20-30 more than we would have if we had gone to a restaurant. 
And the night ended up being perfect. We ate on the floor, basked in candlelight, and sipped on Martinelli's. I made Parmesan-Artichoke Crostini, Slow-Roasted Tomatoes, Creamed Spinach, Pepper-crusted Filet Mignon, and  chocolate mousse. The end result? A night of pure bliss in the comfort of our home.

We decided to make it a tradition! This year, I decided to go with another traditional menu. I'm going to be making a salad of some sort, Roasted Asparagus, Homemade spaghetti and meatballs, Fresh Garlic Bread (no store bought bread for us), and the same Chocolate Mousse (it was too delicious and easy to not make at least one more time). 

I highly recommend trying a night in on Valentine's Day. If not this year, maybe next. And let's be honest, most men would love a simple meal that just takes a little bit more effort. It's one of the easiest and best ways to show them you care.

And now, onto day 10!
I was really looking forward to making heart shaped cinnamon rolls this year. I had seen some tutorials around Pinterest... but I am sad to report that it is a lot harder than it looks.

But no matter! You'd probably be better at making them than me anyways, and the recipe for the rolls themselves are too good not to talk about. 

I used Pioneer Woman's Cinnamon Rolls 101 recipe, and I don't think I'll use another one again. The rolls were melt in your mouth gooey and ooey and divine. I used a simple cream cheese glaze instead of her maple icing, and the result was better than that Tory Burch bag that I want. 

I hope you try to make these heart shaped cinnamon rolls, and if not heart shaped, at least the regular ones. Nothing says "I love you" like 334978 calories all rolled up into a roll!

Heart Shaped Cinnamon Rolls
One recipe of Pioneer Woman's cinnamon rolls, made just until the dough is rolled out and sprinkled with butter, cinnamon, and sugar (or your favorite recipe)
Your favorite icing
dental floss (for cutting the rolls)

Take your rolled out, prepared dough, and instead of rolling up one side to the other, slowly begin to roll up both sides to the middle. It should kind of look like a scroll, and the rolled up sides will meet in the middle. 
With your dental floss, cut pieces of the dough to make about inch thick rolls. Pinch the bottoms of the rolls together to make heart shapes, then place on greased cookie sheets. Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes, or until rolls are golden. 
Pour your icing over the rolls and let cool and set up, and let the icing sink into the rolls.

Enjoy!










1 comment:

*amber* said...

Hayley,I'm so happy I met you. You are adorable. You make me want to be a better cook. Wanna give me lessons? :)