August 8, 2012

Homemade Arnold Palmers


So, I haven't posted a recipe in a long time. I mean a long, longgg time.
I blame this on the fact that this summer I've barely been near an oven at all. 
So, now we finally made it back to Rochester (Chin's first day of school is on Monday!) and we're both done traveling for a little while. I don't have to go back to Provo for another 3 weeks, so hopefully I'll be able to have some fun in my mom's enormous kitchen.
I thought I'd share with you a quick little recipe that's my favorite summer drink.
I was introduced to Arnold Palmer -- a drink that consists of half lemonade and half iced tea -- the summer I graduated from high school. I loved the drink so much, that I couldn't get enough of it. However, there were two problems.
The first being that my personal religious beliefs don't support drinking caffeinated tea, and the second being that the manufactured brand is full of (and I mean really full) of sugar.
Eventually I found an even better solution:
Starbucks makes their own version of an Arnold Palmer, made with their delicious Tazo Passion herbal (and decaffeinated) tea. The only issue with their drink is that they fill it to the top with ice, leaving you with virtually no drink, and you pay an arm and a leg for 16 oz of ice.
No no no that just does not work for Hayley Pingree. 
So I finally just stopped complaining and here I am, showing the best of any option: making your own.
I love making favorite treats at home, not only do I feel like homemade treats are more delicious, but you can tailor what you make to exactly how you like it.
There's just nothing better.

So here we go...

Homemade Arnold Palmer
1 Tazo Passion herbal tea bag (I bought mine at Target but could be purchased at select grocery stores or at Starbucks)
1 1/2 - 2 cups water
Your favorite lemonade (I prefer Minute Maid Light or Simply Lemonade if I'm feeling indulgent)

Step 1: In a microwaveable bowl or liquid measuring cup, microwave 1 1/2- 2 cups water until water is boiling (about 2-3 minutes).
 

Step 2: Steep your tea bag in the boiling water for 4-5 minutes, then remove tea bag and let your tea cool completely (I speed up the process by putting mine in the fridge)

Step 3: Once your tea is cooled, take a nice big glass and pour it halfway full with tea...


Step 4: Fill the other half with lemonade, stir with a spoon to mix it all up, add some ice, and enjoy! If you prefer a sweeter drink, at a packet of stevia or splenda for a sweet twist. 
Makes about 3-4 glasses. 

1 comment:

Tara said...

this looks so delicious and luckily i have "all" (both) of the ingredients at my house! i never thought of doing this, so thanks for the idea :)

p.s. i'll be in fairport this weekend, can we PLEASE see each other at some point!?! text me xoxox