September 10, 2012

My Temporary Home

One of the most common questions that I get asked now that I'm temporarily husbandless in Provo, is "where are you living?" And then people freak out and worry that I'm living alone or with rando single roommates or living in a van down by the river or something.
Basically it's hilarious, because I would never do any of those things unless I actually was physically forced to. 
So the answer is... I'm living with my sister, Maren. Her and her husband and their baby (which you know has been fun for me as an aunt to get to see her all the time!) live about 20 minutes away from campus, and were really kind to let me stay in their guest room in their newly-finished basement in their home. The basement, besides my guest room and the bathroom, is filled almost to the ceiling with all of me and Chin's things. Like seriously I still haven't found the rest of my shoes/clothes because they're packed somewhere in that huge pile (And I keep getting stressed every time I try and dig and look for them). 
So basically I have the whole basement to myself (all my crap and me), which has been so nice. I get to eat dinner with my family, spend time with them, have lots of sister time with Mares, and still have my own little sanctuary to myself.
I feel really lucky to have this situation-- it's made life a ton easier during this big transition.

After I leave, Maren will just keep the room as a guest room for when people come to visit, and so basically she had free reign to decorate it how she wanted it. I told her that I liked the colors mint, coral, and aquas, and away she went. There's still a lot to do (like put up the headboard, hang the mirror and pictures and put in baseboards), but for now I love my room, and I love coming home to it.

I thought I'd share a few pictures of what she's done with it so far:
 
 My bed: Maren made a couple pillows and she also made the quilt at the bottom (which is the best blanket ever), we got the euro shams on clearance at Bed, Bath, and Beyond, and used my bed spread from my old bed at my parents' home.

My dresser: Maren painted an old dresser she found and added the fun knobs, and I love it! We still need to hang the mirror and the pictures, but I think they're both really fun.

It's a little hard to see here, but I love my night stand. The night stand is from Amazon, and we put it together ourselves. The lamp is from Target clearance, so is the alarm clock, and the candle is French Baguette (my room smells like a bakery 24/7 and I'm in love).


Maren made these cafe curtains which add a really nice touch. We still need to buy a different curtain rod, but that's a project for another day.
 


Annnnddd my closet. I love having so much closet space and not having to share any (i'm awful)!
I still can't find over half my shoes and all my winter clothes, but for now this collection will do! 

And that's it for now. Maybe when we get a few more things put up I'll share a few more pictures. :)

3 comments:

Kylie said...

I love the repurposed dresser--the DIY is adorable!

Ashley said...

So great that you get to live with her!! I am loving those curtains.

Amy said...

Oo'ing and aw'ing at your closet space! I suppose that's one positive of living alone?