February 1, 2013

The Wives Club (& a Recipe!)

I haven't posted a recipe in FOREVER. I haven't been making good use of my camera, and with my lack of cooking in general my last few months in Utah, I haven't really had any recipes to share. However... I've been cooking/baking up a storm since we've been in New York... It's honestly getting a little out of hand. I made a meal schedule with all new recipes I wanted to try from now until April, so Chin has had a lot of new meals lately, with a lot more on the way. They've all turned out pretty good so far, with my new favorite tacos recipe being the star. I'll get to those in a minute.
Besides Chin, there are three other LDS married guys in his med school class. So, the wives, being as awesome as we are, decided to have a Wives Club luncheon every week. The host changes weekly, and all the other wives contribute a little something to the meal each week. It's been a blast so far. I eat like a queen every Thursday (I'm talking turkey and cranberry sandwiches on homemade rolls and delicious tortilla soup good), and the company is even better. I'm a lucky woman to have come to Rochester and already have friends. Med school wives have to stick together! 
It was my turn to host this week, and we did some Valentine's crafts post-lunch, so I decided to dress up my table a bit.
I made Roasted Veggie Tacos with Avocado Cream and Feta, because they're my new favorite meal and are just purely delightful. Here are some pictures from the afternoon (c/o the talented Xan Craven), then I'll get to the recipe!


Hydrangeas were a great price at the grocery store, and made for a great centerpiece. Each girl had their own chinese take-out box with juju hearts in them!

Guacamole cups (won ton wrappers baked in cupcake tins, filled with guac and salsa) made for great appetizers.


Seriously you need to make these tacos.

I made red velvet cupcakes for dessert, and served some hazelnut chocolate cookies from Trader Joe's (the best).

We all made different types of garland for our crafts, here's how mine turned out:


AND NOW: the best taco recipe, ever! They are SO easy, so fast, and even Chin loved them (and they are vegetarian-friendly so that's really saying something)!

Roasted Veggie Tacos (with Avocado Cream & Feta)
Adapted from Naturally Ella
For the Tacos:
1 small zucchini, diced
1 small butternut squash, diced*
½ medium red onion, diced
1 C. frozen or canned or fresh corn kernels
1/2 carton cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
1 red pepper, diced
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. cumin
¼ tsp. salt

6-8 taco tortillas (corn or flour)
feta cheese for topping
extra cilantro for garnish
 

For the Avocado Cream:
1 ripe avocado
⅓ C. plain greek yogurt
¼ C. cilantro

1 Tbsp. lime juice

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Prepare your veggies as listed above, and place them all onto a cookie sheet. Drizzle olive oil, garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper over the veggies and mix with a large spoon to coat. Roast until all the veggies are tender, about 20-25 minutes (Squash takes the longest- I test it with a fork to make sure it's tender). While the veggies roast, prepare the avocado cream by placing all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Heat up your tortillas if desired, then assemble with veggies, cream, and feta. Enjoy! 

*You could use any type of squash you like, our local grocery store just cuts and pre-washes butternut squash and puts it into a package so you don't have to cut it up yourself. But you could use acorn squash or even summer squash!

A recipe wouldn't be complete unless I instagrammed a picture of it, right?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It was so delicious!!!! So glad you posted the recipe!!!

Jaeme + Randy said...

I love our wives club! Thanks again for such a fun afternoon!